Well last night while I was changing the water in the birdbath in my garden, I could see signs of the garden getting ready to finish up. I trimmed back the red and pink yarrow. I snipped off finished flowers of my cone flower. I trimmed back the basil in my herb garden and the spent roses. There are still flowers blooming but I can see that it is getting ready soon to finish up. The petunias look pathetic and will be pulled out soon. I'm only holding on to them for the bumble bees. They still like to sit on the remaining flowers and take the last nectar out of them. The hummingbirds are getting ready to leave in a little while. The ones that are left here fight like crazy but when they do finally light on the feeders they sip up the homemade nectar like crazy for their long trips. I still enjoy seeing the Eastern Phoebe that we have in the yard come to the birdbath every night. She swoops in thru the water and then sits on the armillary to dry off. My little chickadees come in to the feeder with their happy little faces chirping away. We still have tons of house finches, a few pairs of cardinals, gold finches and Carolina Wrens. I love to watch the little Carolina Wren babies figuring out how to feed at the feeder and drink from the birdbath. The hydrangeas in the side garden are turning an dark pink/brown/tan/amber color now, which is a sure sign of Fall. I have decorated the house for Fall and I am ready for Fall to arrive temperature wise. Here are some photos of my garden and some of the remaining flowers from last night:
 |
| Bright Pink Cone Flower/Echinacea |
 |
| Lady of Shallot Rose-David Austin |
 |
| A section of my back garden. |
 |
| Red and Pink Yarrow |
 |
| Tahitian Sunset Rose bud |
 |
| Tahitian Sunset Rose blooming, |
My moon vine has started blooming and that is a joy for me. I look every night to see what is opening and if there isn't any opening I am disappointed. Last night one opened and it was beautiful as always. There was one above it that was closed from the night before. I decided that the closed one is beautiful too in its own way. See below: |
| Closed moon vine flower. |
I am looking forward to much cooler weather, mums, the encore azaleas blooming again and the leaves changing colors. All season close and move to the next like clock work and I love every season for certain things but Fall is one of my very favorites. I am sad that I won't see some flowers in their beautiful glory until next year but it will be beautiful when their season comes!
Everyone have a lovely weekend and enjoy!
Sherri
Summer is winding down here, too. I am always a bit sad to see summer go even though Fall is my favorite season. You have lots of birds! I love the little chickadees but we rarely see them here. We have had tons of rain this fall and it is raining again today and thru the week. sigh...I need some sunny days! Happy weekend, Sherri. Nice to see you posting. Diana
ReplyDeleteDiana, it was good to hear from you! It is sad to see summer go but this heat here has been unbearable! We don't have as many chickadees as we did when we lived in NJ years ago. When I go up to visit my Mom and sister the first week of October there will be alot of them there! I hope your weekend was happy too!
Delete