Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Antique Carpenter's Wood Planes

As most of you know my Dad died 12/6/17.  My Dad started working before he was 16 years old.  He had 2 older brothers who were builders and he followed in their footsteps.  After high school he started out as a mason working for himself and then gradually started building houses.  He had a collection of antique wood planes.  When he died I told my Mom they should stay in the family because they were handed down from other generations to my Dad.  I told my Mom that if no one else in the family wanted them, I would love to have them as a remembrance to my Dad.  She told me I could have them, so I brought them home to NC with me.  I was just looking at Country Home 2016 magazine and this is what I saw:

The wall is loaded with antique planes.  Photo via Country Home 2016.


Below is my Dad's collection of antique wood planes handed down through his family and now they reside on my bookshelf wall my Dad built for me.  He didn't use any of these planes to make the bookshelf wall but it was all made by hand by him.  I think I am going to take some of the books off the shelf and put the planes there so you can see them better.  Kind of a tribute to Dad!  That man sure did love to work with his hands and wood!!  Love you Dad!!





This isn't a wood plane but it was my Dad's last wooden fold out ruler he owned.  I remember as a little girl holding that ruler so he could get an accurate reading.  I also got my fingers pinched in between the hinges more than once LOL!!
Just think by opening a magazine, seeing a photo how many memories come flooding back to you!  Life is truly amazing!!

2 comments:

  1. Aww..Sherri-That is just bittersweet, isn't it? I love that you have those old planes to remember your dad with and that you have them displayed.
    I have my dad's old fold-out yardstick, too. I remember all the times he pulled it out of his pocket to use it on the farm.
    Blessings. I know you miss your dad- I still miss mine, too, and he died when I was 21. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Diana!! HUGS to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete