Saturday, January 15, 2022

1.15.2021 Saturday-This Week's Antics

Hi Everyone!  Boy is it cold here-only in the 30's.  I know for some of you that doesn't sound cold but here in this part of SC it is.  It is a very cloudy day here today.  It is a good day to knit and read.  I have been working on alot of jigsaw puzzles online.  I find them very gratifying and I can listen to my Audible book at the same time!  Sometimes these old hands need a break from knitting!  I have been enjoying knitting though.

This week there were a few things going on.  First, Tuesday I had to drive Jenny (my youngest daughter) to the hospital at 5:45 a.m. for her hernia surgery.  She did great and is on the mend!  Then Thursday I took my 2 grandsons, Owen (10) and Jack (8) to Brookgreen Garden in Murrell's Inlet, SC.  They are homeschooled by Jenny.  They have homeschooling classes at Brookgreen.  So this class was on dinosaurs.  The boys had a great time and so did I.  They learned about the history of dinosaurs, fossils (they even made one), they were able to touch and hold real fossils and artifacts (like horse teeth, camel teeth and wooly mammoth tusks).  They also had set up an "archaeological dig" for the kids.  They really loved it!  Here are some photos of Brookgreen and the boys.

This gorgeous statue is at the entrance to Brookgreen Garden.  Just beautiful!

This was a statue right outside the pavillion the boys had part of their class in.  It is huge and just so beautiful.  I think the cranes in the statue are life size.  So detailed.

Jack got to hold a shark's tooth that was found right on the beach in the area. The thing was huge and extremely old.   They dredged sand from the ocean floor and alot of fossils came up when they did that. The horse tooth and camel tooth was in amongst those fossils.  So fascinating things to learn about!

Owen is holding the horse tooth on the right and the camel tooth on the left.  Those teeth were huge!  He loved seeing and touching things in person.  These boys are so lucky to have this opportunity at Brookgreen.  They have been to quite a few classes there.  They are also very reasonable.  They are $7/child per class.  

We were able to meet up with Megan (my oldest daughter) for lunch.  We went to a pizza restaurant.  We love it there.  They also have another restaurant in Charleston.  We had alot of fun before heading home.  The drive should have been an hour but there was construction and then an accident so it took us almost 2 hours to get home.

I got a few things for Christmas that needed to go outside.  Finally got around to putting them up.  Megan and her husband, Ken gave me both of them.  The first one was mason jars made to look like watering cans.  They have fairy lights inside of the jar and then fairy lights coming out of the spout like water.  So cute.  Here is a photo of them at night.  I put them in my veg trug for now.


The other gift was 2 uplighting solar spotlights for my 2 huge river birches out in front of my house.  I put them together and then put them in the ground.  I love them!



The same night that I put the spotlights out, when the sun was setting the sky was like it was on fire with color.  My neighbors have beautiful palm trees in their yard.  I was able to position myself to get this great photo-so beautiful!


Wednesday, I think I spent the whole day winding yarn.  I buy most of my yarn from Heidi and Lana from Ohio.  It comes in a skein.  I then take my yarn swift and ballwinder and wind the skeins into yarn "cakes".  Then they are all ready for knitting.  Here is a photo of Wintry Mix from Heidi and Lana.  Love this color.  Of course, I was drinking hot tea all the while I was doing this! :)


Lastly, my amaryllis opened all 4 of the buds up.  It is such a different color than what I usually grow.  It is stunning and I hope to plant it out in the garden this summer and then pot it back up so it will bloom again before Christmas.  I really have been enjoying all my plants that I have this year.  This house has so many great windows for light.  My orchid is getting ready to bloom again.  Well 1 out of the 4 I have.  The others are slackers.  LOL!!  Here are some pics of the amaryllis in the sunroom.





I hope everyone has a lovely weekend!  I know some of you are supposed to get a winter storm.  I think we are only having rain here.  I know the upper part of SC is going to have ice and some snow.  My family in NJ is supposed to get 8"+.  Stay safe and warm!


Sherri


4 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a full week with the hernia surgery there and then the kids. Love that they have such hands-on learning. The uplighting is just beautiful. I love outside lighting!
    Have a wonderful weekend- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana! It was a busy week. Jenny is healing nicely and goes on Monday for her post op appt. Hopefully they will clear her to drive.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like the boys really had a great time. Glad your daughter is mending. Your flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete