Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Planning my Gardens at the New House



I hope this post finds all of you well, warm and happy!  The past week the weather has been so horrible I think for everyone!  The one morning I got up and it was 12 degrees.  That is cold for our area here in NC.  

I have been planning out my gardens for here on paper.  I went ahead and bought 2 dahlia tubers from Petal Pickers in Greenville, SC.  I have bought from them over the years and there dahlias are always so good.  I brought 4 dahlia tubers over in pots from Scott's house when I moved my gardening things over here.  I hope they make it.  I have them in the garage.  They should be ok.  I am looking into roses and perennials right now.  The next time I go up to NJ, I'll also get some pieces from 2 plants my sister has that were my Nana's.  I had some but they are at Scott's house.  Mason may get them for me when he gets the daylilies I planted along the front walk.  I've got my rototiller all cleaned up and ready to till when the weather gets warmer in the Spring.  I'm going to pull the 2 ugly bushes the builder planted out front and replace them with 2 Encore azaelas.  I'm think a salmon color that I've had in the past.  I figured it would go perfect with the white house and black trim.  I'm also going to paint the 2 rocking chairs that were my parents out on the front porch a glossy black in the Spring.  I will get he usual annuals also to fill in.

The plants/bushes that I'm thinking of getting are:

Daylilies

Roses

Hostas

Zinnias

Sweet William

Butterfly Bush

Azaelas

Yarrow

Marigolds

Echincea


Echinecea

Graham Thomas Rose

Lady of Shalot Rose




That is all I can think of right now.  That is a good start!  I will also put some gladiolia bulbs in.  John loved them!  I always think of him when I see them blooming.  He loved that I gardened.  

Are any of you thinking about gardening in the Spring?  If so, what do you think you'll be putting in?  I'll also be putting in some raised beds and putting herbs and veggies in.  Hope they do well here.  There is plenty of sun for sure!  Down the side of the house there is some shade from my neighbors pecan trees, so that is where the hostas will go.

I have a garden journal and I will probably be using that alot.  I like to keep track of what plants do well and what doesn't.  

Well that is all I have for today!  I hope everyone has a great rest of the week and the weekend if I don't make it back here.


Sherri








2 comments:

  1. HOA takes care of all of that. We might have to replace one item…i buy a flowering plant for little patio. When I had my house, I had shrubs and a few annuals. I traveled too much to care for plants. Yours sound nice. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda. I don't have an HOA here. I love to garden and I'm glad I don't have an HOA. Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete