Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Autumn is Coming to NC!

I can feel a difference in the air lately.  Even though it is still hot and humid here, things will change soon.  Actually the weather person said this morning on the news starting tomorrow, Wednesday the weather will become cooler and less humid.  Atleast through the weekend that is.  Friday we leave and go to Megan and Ken's new house in Georgetown, SC.  I am sure it will be warmer and humid there.  That's ok, it will be good to see them and help them with the new house. 

The flowers from the spring and summer are getting tired of blooming, some of them look ragged and worn out.  The hummingbirds and bees are busy gathering pollen and especially the hummingbirds getting ready for the long flight to warmer climes!  We have this little hummingbird (female) she has almost no tail feathers.  She is the cutest, little thing.  She has to work twice as hard to fly, eat, etc.  She rests after each sip of the nectar I make in the hummingbird feeder in our yard.  The shepherd crook that holds up the feeder is her favorite place or the armillary in my cutting garden.  You can almost hear her panting as she catches her breath LOL!!  She has been visiting us for about 3 years now and each year I am amazed this little creature has made it to and from warmer climes and back again.  I will miss her when she takes her leave.

I do love this time of year!  All the rich spices, pumpkins, colors, mums, etc.  I have already put the Autumn wreath I made last year with the pheasant feathers stuck in it.  I have filled the wonderful, hand-carved wooden bowl my Dad made for me with lots of pumpkins.  I have decorated the mantel and changed out all my candles throughout the house.  I have not put any Halloween items out yet, that will be put out next month.  I can't wait to make my first Apple Crisp!  There is just something about that first bite of Apple Crisp for the season!  I also love pumpkin bread, it is so moist and so full of flavor.  I still have fresh pumpkin frozen from the pumpkins my sister, Sue grew in her garden in NW NJ.  I love home-grown pumpkins.  The pumpkins are known as milk pumpkins because they are very light in color.  They make excellent pies, breads, muffins, etc.  I always make my Great-Grandmother Sisco's pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving.  My oldest daughter, Megan loves that pie!!  She and I are always so excited Thanksgiving brings thanks, family and our pumpkin pie!  I have passed the recipe down to her and hopefully she will continue making this in her new house.

Everyone enjoy the Autumn Season and most important of all enjoy what nature shares with you.  Whether it is a colorful tree or bounty like pumpkins, gourds and squash from your or someone elses garden. 

Enjoy!!!


1 comment:

  1. Sigh... I used to love fall too with the changing colors, cooler temperatures and seasonal fun in Illinois. As you can imagine, it's very different here in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete