Saturday, March 2, 2024

Be Aware of Your Pets with Yarn

 Hi Everyone!  Yesterday after I posted my last post, I had something happen to me that has never, ever happened with any of my pets before.  I had completed knitting the Lucky coaster and put all my supplies back in my yarn basket (which I keep up on the couch so Riley can't bother it).  Well I went in my office/craft room to look something up on the computer.  About 5 minutes later I heard Riley gagging and choking.  I ran out and he was in the hallway.  I saw a trail of yarn (2 different colors) coming out of his mouth.  I started to pull the yarn out and I couldn't believe how much he had swallowed.  It was like the clown acts that they have scarves coming out of their sleeves or mouths.  I got it all out and he never had stopped breathing thank goodness.  He gave me a scare I don't ever wish to repeat.  Below is a photo of the yarn I got out of his mouth, throat and it had to have gone down even further.  


The dark green yarn I had rolled most of it back on the ball before I took the photo of what was in him.  The lighter green yarn represents the true amount he swallowed.  

Very scary and I now keep my yarn in a basket with a lid so he can't help himself.  I think it scared him as much as it did me!  

I'm just glad he didn't stop breathing or have other complications.

Have a wonderful weekend!


Sherri

9 comments:

  1. Yikes! Keep an eye out for stool samples of green string worms, or not wanting to eat. Rubber bands and string can sometimes tighten around intestines and cause part of it to infect and die, so watch his food/bowel/eating symptoms. It'd be hard for a vet to x-ray string, but I know they sometimes can. My vet son has pulled sewing needles with thread still attached out of pet mouths and throats! Good luck. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been looking for signs of trouble and he is going fine and eating like a champ. I'm pretty sure I got it all.

      Delete
  2. Wow…imagine…hope he is okay…glad you are enjoying your new dog and new home. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, I'm so glad he is okay too. I am enjoying both, thanks!

      Delete
  3. Oh, Sherri:
    I bet you were terrified! I'm so glad you were able to retrieve the yarn and that Riley is uninjured. Those darn critters. Just when we think everything is fine, they spring something like this on us. I'd be adding a latch to that lidded basket for sure! Hope you have a restful and uneventful Sunday, girlfriend.
    xoxo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna! I was lucky enough to have a basket with a latch on it and I thought, now he is safe! I also put the basket up on the counter. Whenever I go out, he goes in the crate, but I was home when this episode happened, thank goodness!

      Delete
  4. I hope Riley will be ok. That must have been shocking to see!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mary, it was! I'm just glad I got it all out as fast as I did. He was actually walking down the hall to come get me to help him. He was only gone 2 split seconds. Just like toddlers, you have to watch them every minute!!

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh. That must have been so scary for both of you. Poor guy. I'm. glad he was okay.

    ReplyDelete