Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday



Today is Ash Wednesday. One of my co-workers just assumed I was catholic because I have an Irish last name. Well my husband has the Irish background (I'm German/Dutch) and why do people always assume because you have an Irish last name you are catholic. We are Methodist. I do believe in giving up something for Lent though. While I was trying to figure out what I should give up a few things crossed my mind: chocolate-no, tea-no, beef-no. I started thinking of other things. I came up with chewing gum. I always chew some gum in the afternoon after lunch and now I guess Mentos or Altoids will have to do. I hope everyone has a lovely day!

5 comments:

Roses and Lilacs said...

Thanks Sherri, perhaps I'll give up something like hot sauce;) Just kidding. I always look on lent as a holy time to meditate and try to better understand my faith. I hope the season brings everyone some new insights.
Marnie

Vickie said...

I am non-denominational, but try to take the time each year around this time to see what I can do better. Don't necessarily want to give up anything, but would like to work on my snarkiness. So maybe I am giving up something if I give that up....we'll see...wish me luck...

Sherri said...

Marnie-that is a great thought. I hope in these times everyone take your approach!

Vickie-that is very also a great attitude to take. I don't find you have snarkiness sweetie! Every year I don't give up something but I thought I would this year.

Brenda Leyland said...

Although I didn't start it for Lent, I'm on a set-aside snacky things like potato chips and french fries for 90 days. (I do that once in a while when I find myself eating too much of something--it really helps me break the habit).

So I wish you a happy no-gum--chewing Lent experience.

Kay said...

I wouldn't give up chocolate either. Gum sounds like a good choice. Wishing you peace and joy.


Ring of Kerry, Ireland
My husband, John and I went to Ireland for our 25th Wedding Anniversary in 2004. We had an awesome trip and we will never forget it. We actually got to visit our friends who live in Northern Ireland. We spent 3 wonderful days with them! The picture above was taken when we visited The Ring of Kerry. The beauty of Ireland is just spectacular! If you ever get a chance visit there.
Megan is my oldest daughter. She and Ken were married on April 12, 2008. It was a wonderful ceremony and reception!
Jenny and Kevin at their wedding 8/30/08. The wedding was at our home and turned out wonderful! Everyone had such a good time!