Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Butterflies Everywhere!

Over the holiday weekend John and I ventured down to the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden. We have a year pass there so we go there frequently. From September 1st until the 30th they are having Something a Flutter. I saw the listing for this last year and wanted to go but never made it there. They have butterly pupa in the orchid conservatory and the butterflies "hatch" and then fly around the conservatory. While we did see some butterflies in the conservatory and the "unhatched" pupa in some boxes when we went outside there were so many butterflies we couldn't believe it. Then as we wandered around all the paths to the different gardens and came upon the Butterfly Garden we couldn't believe the amount of butterflies just fluttering and flitting around! I thought I would share some of the of these lovely creations and some of the things we saw on our walk.


Here is one of the cases that had all the butterfly pupa in them. It's amazing to see how the butterfly is encased in this and then breaks free and flies!















I took some other pictures too, which I'll share with you:


This is a view of the Main Building at the Gardens from another garden by the fountain.


Here is one of the many fountains (well just the top half of the fountain) against the beautiful, blue sky that day!


I could not resist taking a picture of this giant red hibiscus!! It was absolutely gorgeous!


This is one of the Bromelaids we encountered on our walk.


I just love this picture!! The ornamental grasses were so tall and the sky so blue!


All along the pathway to one of the gardens they had containers with passion flowers growing. I thought this one was just beautiful!


Rose of Sharon has been one of my favorite flowers for some time. This one was just gorgeous!


Around the main building they have these huge containers and this peachy, orange colored double hibiscus was growing in one of the containers. I just wanted to back the car up and take this container home with me!


All throughout the gardens are magnolia trees. There are so many different varieties here. In the Spring the blossoms are just gorgeous. In the Fall you see these seed pods forming. I love the coloring.


The colors in this hibiscus just jump out at you-couldn't resist snapping a picture of it!


After our afternoon of stroll we found these delightful rocking chairs in the shade and decided we needed to sit and have a soda! I snapped John relaxing in his chair.


Here is a closeup John snapped of me-he caught me by surprise! You usually don't see many pictures of me on here because I don't feel I take a good picture, but John thought this was a great one. It looks like I am posing but just before he snapped it I had been looking down at the brochure from the gardens while he went to the gift shop to get our drinks.


When we were leaving the Gardens and getting into our car in the parking space behind our car was this awesome Ford Model A! I took alot of pictures of this beauty!! I am thinking of making a calendar for my Dad for his birthday and this would be perfect to put on the calendar! I'll be sharing more pictures in future posts.


John decided he wanted a picture of himself standing next to the Model A. I told him he has read to my Dirk Pitt (Clive Cussler book character) novels-LOL!!!

Well I hope you've enjoyed our DSBG stroll! Have a wonderful day!!

9 comments:

  1. Sherri...these are nice photos of you both. The butterflies and flower shots are gorgeous as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a wonderful day. We've had so many butterflies this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love botanical gardens! Your pictures are beautiful. When I was in Key West several years ago, I wandered through a butterfly house. It was so peaceful.

    Love the pic of you! Now I know when you come to my door, who you are!
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Flowers and butterflies are such wonderful joys in life. Thanks for sharing!:) Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Penny, you made me giggle!! I can't wait until the Brunch!! We will all have such a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonder that place is! I've never seen anything like it. I also loved seeing the flowers which are so exotic to me - Rose of Sharon, hibiscus, magnolia. Wow! And so good to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sherri - I commented on your earlier post about Stieg Larsson's books - and just wanted to actually introduce myself here because we will be meeting at sweet Penny's brunch next month! What fun to have a get together with so many bloggers - some old and others new. Looking forward very much to meeting you.

    Great butterfly pics. Despite the heat of this Summer they have been prolific and HUGE!

    Mary - A Breath of Fresh Air (Raleigh)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Guess what? There is a surprise over at Just Simply Live!!! Check it out! I love your butterfly pictures. Just gorgeous! And your picture is really good too. Like Penny said, now we will know what you look like. Love & blessings from NC!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved seeing that lovely photo of you, Sherri. The butterfly garden sounds spectacular. Your photos of the butterflies and the flowers are absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much for posting them. I loved seeing this post.

    ReplyDelete