Monday, September 6, 2010

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson Book Review



Amazon review:

Once you start The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, there's no turning back. This debut thriller--the first in a trilogy from the late Stieg Larsson--is a serious page-turner rivaling the best of Charlie Huston and Michael Connelly. Mikael Blomkvist, a once-respected financial journalist, watches his professional life rapidly crumble around him. Prospects appear bleak until an unexpected (and unsettling) offer to resurrect his name is extended by an old-school titan of Swedish industry. The catch--and there's always a catch--is that Blomkvist must first spend a year researching a mysterious disappearance that has remained unsolved for nearly four decades. With few other options, he accepts and enlists the help of investigator Lisbeth Salander, a misunderstood genius with a cache of authority issues. Little is as it seems in Larsson's novel, but there is at least one constant: you really don't want to mess with the girl with the dragon tattoo. --Dave Callanan

My review of this book:

I read this book for the mystery bookclub I am in. This book is out of the genre I would usually read, but I'm glad I did. Everyone told me the first 125-150 pages were boring but keep going and then the book really gets interesting. I found this book to be interesting right from the beginning. There is alot of description in this book, maybe thats why there was such negative feeling from some people, but I love books with alot of description. This book definitely has alot of things happening in it!! I am so glad I am not a member of the Vanger family-LOL!! They are all so dysfunctional! Lisbeth Salander, is one strong and tough young woman. I really enjoyed the intrigue in this book and all the mystery unravelings!

10 comments:

  1. Have heard of this book, but have not read it. Glad you enjoyed it. Love & blessings from NC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not get into this, Sherri. Should I try again?? Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely have to be in the right mood to read this book Lori. The Swedish names and towns I skimmed over because I really couldn't pronounce some of them, but the story line was good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend loaned me this book and I have not had a chance to read it yet. I am looking forward to it. Right now I am reading Eat, Pray Love.
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just about through this book and my jaw dropped when the "reveal" came. Phenomenal book and can't wait to read the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Putting it on my list again, Sherri! Did you like Eat, Pray, Love? Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori, I didn't read the book Eat Pray Love but I did see the movie. I loved the movie! My daughter, Megan read the book and she loved it except she said India seemed to be drug out to her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok this is interesting as I have avoided these books as I heard they were porrly written and overlong. Apparently the author died before publication and they were edited badly by a relative. I may now reconsider after your review Sherrie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard people say they really liked this book. I haven't read it yet. Sounds like I might want to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought this book was fantastic, ESPECIALLY the amazing descriptive sections of the the Swedish landscape in winter. The translation was excellent - very sad the author, who wrote so well, was unable to see his books published and on the silver screen.
    I recently watched the movie on DVD and thought it very well done. Not as detailed as the lengthy book of course, but the story was captured to the point that my DH who had not read the book, really enjoyed it.

    I'm now reading the second book, The Girl Who Played With Fire. This movie is currently playing locally however I don't wish to see it until I've read the book! Lisbeth's personal life is much more explicit in this book. She is an amazing character though and the book is a real page-turner!

    ReplyDelete