Saturday, September 25, 2010

The difference between Pumpkins

I decided I would repeat one of my blog posts from October 13, 2009. I felt it would be appropriate for this time of year with everyone cooking up wonderful pumpkin recipes! Enjoy!!



The Milk Pumpkin
I had a few people ask me at work why did my Pumpkin Bread and Pumpkin Pie taste different than what they usually have. So I thought maybe everyone didn't know the different pumpkins. Here is some information I thought I would share with everyone. Well for one thing I don't and refuse to use pumpkin out of a can and I use a Milk Pumpkin. Some people use regular Jack-o-Lantern pumpkins but not me! The Milk Pumpkin is denser, sweeter and a brighter orange flesh, which is great for pies, breads, etc. . This whole thing just reminded me I need to look for my Pumpkin Cookie recipe-love them! When I went back home recently my Dad gave me a Milk Pumpkin he grew in his garden and this week I need to cook it up and freeze it for later use. I think how the milk pumpkin got it's name is because it is a lighter color than the regular pumpkin (it looks like milk has been added to the color making it lighter). I also read sometimes this pumpkin is called a cheese pumpkin because it looks like a wheel of cheese. All I know is these pumpkins make the best pies, cakes, cookies and breads! Below are 2 pictures of pumpkins so you can see the difference.

Here is a regular Jack-o-Lantern type pumpkin:



This is a milk (some people call it a pie or cheese pumpkin):




Here is a Milk Pumpkin-you can definitely see the difference. The Milk Pumpkin is more squat too.

What ever pumpkin you use to make your pies, breads, cakes, cookies, pancakes, etc. I'm sure they are good!

5 comments:

  1. All of a sudden I'm craving a sweet baked with pumpkin! The weather has turned cooler so baking sounds like a good idea. Happy Fall, Sherri :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for explaining the differences! I for one love pumpkin stew! It is absolutely delicious served right indside the hollowed out pumpkin!

    Come enter my giveaway, it ends tomorrow at midnight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this. It never hurts to redo an old one 'cause I never saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea. What a great, informative post! We've used the jack-o-lantern pumpkin and I admit it's not great. Hmmm... I'll have to see if they sell the milk pumpkin in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good information, Sherri! I did not know :( hmmmm...I make my pumpkin pies from canned pumpkin...maybe I should check out making it from a fresh pumpkin. I know that sounds silly, but I would not know where to begin :O Do you have to cook it before adding it to the crust and baking?? LOL! I know u are laughing! :)

    ReplyDelete