Thursday, February 3, 2011

This is one of the reasons I live in the South!



My husband and I moved to Charlotte, NC in June of 2004. Our daughters followed us here that very same year. Jenny moved down in September and Megan moved down in November. We love living here and when we heard about all the snow up North and virtually all over the US, John and I looked at each other and said, "this is why we live where we do!". We had lived in northwestern NJ our whole life until we moved here. John had gone to college in New Hampshire. We have had our share of snowstorms, ice, shoveling, thawing out, mud in Spring and I wouldn't trade living here in NC for all that. Now some times it does snow here (like it did this year-we had 4 inches and 1/2" of ice) but the snow and ice comes and goes so quickly and then we are right back to wonderful weather. Now the mountains of NC have been slammed this year but we in the Piedmont section of NC have had it pretty easy this year.

I turned on my computer this morning and went to check my e-mails and I saw pictures of the snow around the US and I was taken aback by all the quantities of snow and ice! Now when we lived in NJ we had alot of snowstorms and I particularly remember one that dumped 21 inches of snow on our farm and we had to tunnel down to the barn to feed the horses and sheep we had. We have pictures of the kids standing in the tunneled path and they look like little midgets! I don't think I was prepared to see the snow in abandoned cars, buses, etc. and the windshield wipers almost ripped off cars windshields because of the high winds in Chicago!! There was a building collapse in MA yesterday and thankfully all those people got out unscathed. I really hope that this weird wintery weather leaves all the states that have been touched by it really soon. My heart goes out to everyone who has to deal with it but it really makes me glad we were transferred here to Charlotte!

Everyone please take care and stay safe and warm throughout this horrible weather! HUGS to you all who are dealing with this!

12 comments:

  1. That's what it looked like at my house on Tuesday. The streets still aren't completely plowed. If the mail is delivered today I'm not sure they'll be able to reach our box - it's at the curb and there's so much snow in front of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a terrible mess they are dealing with. I'm so happy I live in the south too!

    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks a lot like where I live. I can sure tell you that I'm not too impressed living here this year. It's the worst winter we've had since 1989. I pray that everyone stays safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're over seeing the kids right now so we had a bit of the cold, drizzly rain the other night. Other than that it has been pretty mild. We'll be heading out of town if it looks like snow is heading this way. Take care Sherri.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherri I'm with you, I wouldn't trade cold weather for anything! The weather this winter, and last for that matter, has been a little wacky and dangerous! We got hit hard here last year, when we rarely get measurable snow, but this year we've been spared for the most part. It's hard to believe that there's a whole country above ours that sees this sort of wintry weather every single year!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherri,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on the cuteness of my grand daughter. I guess I am a typical grandmother in that I think Chloe's the cutest thing in my world.
    Even though I live in the north (Northern Ontario, Canada) we managed to be unscathed so far by that snowstorm (and am thankful for it).
    Have a great day
    Denise
    from
    BeadedEmbellishments

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/beadedembellishments
    http://beadedembellishments.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear that you are spared the extreme weather. My daughter sounded tired, but pretty chipper when I talked to her yesterday. I'm hoping the Chicagoland area doesn't get hit again anytime soon. I've got all my fingers crossed.

    You're so lucky your girls came to join you. I wish my daughter would come and live in Hawaii with her family, but there aren't enough good paying jobs here. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up in Michigan...lived in upstate NY for 10 years. Lived in Naples, Fl for 20 years. But I love the mountains of NC....We do get a little more snow than you do in Charlotte, but I live in the southern area of Asheville. The northern area of Asheville gets twice the snow, because they are in a higher elevation. I think NC is the perfect state to live in!
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, I've started laughing each time we've had a snowstorm (6 or 7) since 12/26. What else can I do about it?

    I like the northeast so we deal with the weather:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have lived in NC all my life and I love it here. I enjoy the 4 seasons. Plus, in NC, you can either visit the beach or the mountains, without it being a very long trip either way. Have a wonderful weekend. Love & blessings from NC!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I am just the opposite. I love winter except for worrying about my kids driving in it. I love snow and that cold,crisp air, and the way the sunlight seems brighter than any time of the year. I hate the heat. I don't like too many days of summer sun in a row. So, it's a good thing I live in the north. ;<)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep! I'm glad I'm a Southerner. Hubby's relatives back in New England are literally buried in snow! I dislike winter - except when it snows. But that kind of snow is way too much!

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete