Thursday, December 1, 2011

Yarn Dye Fest!!

Last night my knitting friend, Amy came over and she taught me how to dye yarn! I had alot of cream 100% wool yarn and it needed to be dyed. First I chose blue and green dye. We boiled some water and carefully placed the yarn in the water. You use a wooden spoon to gently push the yarn down into the water. This takes all the air pockets out of the yarn so there is no part of the yarn that doesn't get dyed. We then placed the yarn in a plastic storage container so we could apply the dye. Like this:


My friend, Amy "squirting" the yarn with the dye.

After you get the dye on the yarn the way you want it, you wrap the whole thing in saran wrap, kind of like a burrito. Then you place it in the microwave until it gets really hot. You then unwrap the yarn and put it in the sink to cool. When it is cool you rinse the yarn until the water is clear. Then you hang the yarn over your shower curtain until dry.

Here are some more pictures of my lovely yarn:

This is the pink yarn cooling off before rinsing.

Here is the pink yarn all done.

Here is the blue/green yarn we made.

Here is all the blue/green yarn hanging over the shower rod to dry.

I love the range of the blues and greens in the yarn.

What an absolutely fun time creating this lovely yarn! I'm sure I will be making lots more lovely yarn and soon!

9 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great post, Sherri! Interesting process. I love the blue and green yarn - my favorite colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, blue and green are my favorite colors too! I had a blast doing this! How is your knitting coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so interesting. Looks like fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That looks like it was a lot of fun. I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are such gorgeous colors. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so pretty? Can't wait to see what this lovely yarn becomes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovin' that green yard Sherri - what a fun project to do!! Can't wait to see what you create with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a lot of work! But what wonderful colors you got. What will you be making?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that's great, Sherri! Looks like fun, and now the knitting begins!

    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete