Sunday, November 2, 2008

I finally cooked my Pie Pumpkin!



Today after Church I finally cooked my pie pumpkin. For those of you who don't know what a pie pumpkin looks like here is a pretty good description. These pumpkins are squatter than a jack-o-lantern type pumpkin, they are lighter and the meat of the pumpkin is more dense. I have cooked these pumpkins for the last 29 years and they make a wonderful pumpkin pie. Where I grew up in northwestern NJ they were called Milk Pumpkins. I guess because they were a pumpkin color with milk in it. That is the only way I can describe it. When I make my Great-Grandmother's Recipe for her pumpkin pie, I will post it on here.

6 comments:

Brit' Gal Sarah said...

Mmmm they sound wonderful

Mary said...

I can almost smell the pie : )

Roses and Lilacs said...

I learned something new. I didn't know certain pumpkins were better than others. Thanks for the info.
Marnie

Rue said...

Hi Sherri :)

I knew there was a specific pumpkin for pie making, but I didn't know which one it was. I can't wait for the recipe!

rue

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

I have been sooo hungry for pumpkin anything. I tried to make pie from pumpkin once...yes, once. You are amazing if you've been making it all those years!

I can't wait for your recipe, just in time too!

Have a wonderful evening,
Kathi :)

Charity said...

Thank you for the description of a pie pumpkin! I've seen them referenced before, but didn't know what the difference was. :0)


Ring of Kerry, Ireland
My husband, John and I went to Ireland for our 25th Wedding Anniversary in 2004. We had an awesome trip and we will never forget it. We actually got to visit our friends who live in Northern Ireland. We spent 3 wonderful days with them! The picture above was taken when we visited The Ring of Kerry. The beauty of Ireland is just spectacular! If you ever get a chance visit there.
Megan is my oldest daughter. She and Ken were married on April 12, 2008. It was a wonderful ceremony and reception!
Jenny and Kevin at their wedding 8/30/08. The wedding was at our home and turned out wonderful! Everyone had such a good time!