Friday, January 6, 2017

Late Summer and Fall in Our Home

I am sorry friends for being away so long!  I have not had a very good late Summer and Fall.  My Dad was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer the end of August and passed away on December 6th.  My Dad lived a very long life and had a very good life.  On Halloween, he turned 80 and that was one of the things he wanted to accomplish.  My Dad was a husband, father and his profession as a residential builder was something he really loved.  Christmas was great but after we had spent the day with Jenny, Kevin, the grandboys, Megan and Ken we came home and the first thing I saw was the large dough bowl my Dad hand carved for me.  I have to admit I had a good cry.  John hugged me until I caught my breathe and stopped crying.  It is very hard losing someone who has always been there.  My Dad was of German-Dutch descent and he was very strict and a no-nonsense kind of man but in his own way he loved us.  Dad made wonderful wooden inlaid bowls.  I have 4 or 5 of them.  He also made my sisters, their children, my children and myself many pieces of furniture.  I am sitting here in the office in our house looking at the beautiful built-in bookshelves and cabinets that go along one whole wall.  I look on my desk and one of Dad's bowls is here for me to admire every time I sit here.  My Dad taught me many things about carpentry.  I worked hand and hand with him making something in his shop when I was growing up.  The family joke was I could hammer better than my husband when we got married!!  Sometimes I didn't understand some of the things my Dad taught me or why I even had to do them, but I appreciate what he did teach me now.  When you are a child you really don't understand everything you are asked to do or shown but when you become an adult you learn to appreciate what was asked of you or shown to you as a child.  I learned many, many things from my Dad.  Some good and a few not great.  My Dad had a really bad temper when he was younger, which mellowed out somewhat as he got older.  No matter how things were between Dad and I, I know that if I called him he would try to help or try and figure out what was going on.  He never spoiled us but he usually pointed us in the direction that would help us figure out how to deal with what was happening in our life.  I do know he loved taking my grandboys, Owen and Jack, his great-grandchildren for rides on his antique tractors.  I have photos of him taking them for rides and really enjoying himself.  Those tractors were his pride and joy!  I know I have to be an adult and not dwell on Dad not being here but I tell you he will be missed by me!  Love you Dad!

Dad when he was 16 or 17 with his favorite cow, Marina.

Mom and Dad's Wedding 4-5-1958
My Uncle John is in the doorway and my Dad is leaning up against the house.  I don't know where this was taken but it had to be the early 1970's.

10-2016 My Dad having a conversation with Owen.


Dad, Mom and I 2014 or 2015.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Sherri- I am so sorry you lost your dad. Pancreatic cancer is just so awful. I'll say a prayer for you as you walk the path before you. It is hard to lose a dad no matter how old...I lost my dad when I was only 21 and I still miss him. I hope you have a good New Year and that you find some happy moments in the upcoming days. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm greatly saddened at the news of your dad's death Sherri. Thankful though that you have such fond memories of him, and the lovely things you were able to surround yourself with, and add to your pretty home, thanks to his wonderful craftsmanship and love of wood.

    I too lost my father to pancreatic cancer in 1976 - and he too only lived a short while after diagnosis.
    Know you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers at this time. Be strong and hold those memories close - they will help you surmount the grief and bring you comfort.

    With love, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherri I am so sorry about your father. I know you have some wonderful memories and pieces from him that will help you in your time of sorrow.
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherri, what a beautiful tribute to your Dad. I'm so sorry for your loss but I know your wonderful memories will be a comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post to share and remember your dad with.

    Victoria x
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete