Sunday, July 19, 2009

The girls threw me a 50th Birthday Party!!

Yesterday I thought John and I were going to our son-in-law, Ken's birthday party. Megan told us to come over at 5:30 and everyone would be there to celebrate Ken's birthday (which is 2 days after mine). I bought Ken a Best Buy gift card, because he loves computer games, computer items and anything computer! We got to their house on time and I walked in and everyone yelled surprise! I really was surprised! My friends from Church were there and a few other friends. Alot of my friends are away on vacation so they weren't able to come. They were missed but we did have a grand old time! John and I didn't get home until 11:30. The girls, the son-in-laws and John gave me a picture for our Dining Room wall. I have always loved Dan and Pauline Campanelli's pictures. They lived in NJ and we actually met them when we lived there. Pauline has since died, which is a sad thing for the artist world. She had polio when she was younger and was confined to a wheelchair. Dan, her husband used to set up still life settings for her and she would sketch and then painting them. My grandmother had polio and was also confined to a wheelchair, so I feel I had a connection with Pauline, especially after I met her. They also had a farm in Warren County, NJ and raised sheep. We had a farm in Sussex County (one county over) and we raised sheep, she loved to garden, I love to garden, she loved to bake and I love to bake, etc., etc. We have many paintings of Dan's but only 1 of Pauline's. Below is a picture of the painting they gave me for my 50th birthday yesterday! It will always be treasured by me not just because I love Pauline's art but because my family gave it to me out of their love! Happy Birthday to me! (Well really not until Thursday).

7 comments:

  1. Sherri, what a lovely gift from your family! And how nice of them to surprise you with the party. Welcome (a little early) to the 50s. It's really great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Mary! Glad to hear the 50's are great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely surprise, I did the same for my mum on her 50th. We managed to get 50 of her friends into her back garden, she was sent to the spa all day and her knees buckled when she came around the corner.

    Very nice gift to receive as well Sherri.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great surprise! You have a great family - the painting is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday Sweets! What a wonderful surprise!! I am so glad you like your posy, too.:) It arrived at the right time!:) Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 50th! What a beautiful painting. Wonderful gift.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sweet of your family to surprise you on your 50th birthday! It sounds like you had a wonderful time. What a special gift that they gave you and it's beautiful!! I enjoyed reading your story about the painters and your connection.

    ReplyDelete