Friday, October 29, 2021

Stained Glass Studio All Set Up!! 10.29.2021

 Hi Everyone!  I hope you are having a great day!  I have been having a great day so far.  I love Friday!  Even though I am retired it just seems like Friday wraps up the week and gets you ready for the weekend!

Today I went into the studio over the garage that my girls set up for me.  There is a stained glass table up there.  They ran out of time to set this up and they don't do stained glass so they really wouldn't know where I needed my tools and supplies.  I brought up all the boxes and plastic tubs of glass that were on the first floor of the garage.  2 of the tubs were so heavy, I didn't think I would be able to do it but I did!  I started out by sorting out all the cut pieces of glass by color and put them in separate boxes.  It makes it easier for finding smaller pieces like for leaves, buds of flowers, etc. if I have this done ahead of time.  The I took the larger pieces of glass that I have by color and leaned them again the wall under the bank of windows up there.  That way when I'm making a large project I will know if I have enough glass to make the project.  I got my grinder all ready to plug in and the air filter I use is in place also.  There is a small amount of lead in the solder (I buy solder with 20% lead in it no more).  The filter makes such a difference.  I put it right by my solder iron so the smoke goes right into the filter.  I realized I must have thrown out the chemicals like flux, patina, etc.  I will have to go to Hobby Lobby and pick up that.  Oh darn I will have to go to Hobby Lobby LOL!!  I love that place!!  I will also have to get some DW-40.  I spray a few cotton balls and rub my glass cutter on that during the cutting process.  It keeps the glass powder off the cutter making it last longer.  Here are some pictures I took of the studio (please don't pay attention to the floor, I forgot to bring up the vacuum cleaner with me).

This is the table I have all my supplies on and actually cut and create the glass project here.

It is hard to see the colors of these pieces, but this helps me decide if I have enough glass for the project I'm working on.

More glass.  The 2 pieces wrapped in bubble wrap are pieces I made but the movers broke them when we moved into our Mint Hill, NC house.  I am going to repair them.  The one in front I made probably 30 years ago and love.  The one behind it is a katamaran I made for John.  He always had it in his office.  One day the chain snapped and broke 2 pieces on the edge.  I'm going to repair that and hang it in the studio.  Every time I look at it, I will think of all the good times we had.  He loved that piece!

More glass.  There is a very rich red glass there and some gorgeous blues!

This is the last wall of glass.  Mostly browns, white, black, tan, peach and light lavender.  

When I was unwrapping the glass, I found the next piece of glass (actually 2 pieces of it).  I love the blue-green glass.  I see a lake or pond in a piece out of this glass!  I might make something for myself at some time for in the family room.  I have 4 windows in there in a row, it would be nice to have a beautiful window in there.  The light streams in there almost all day-just beautiful!

I took a class on Pawley's Island recently in a plant shop.  The owner asked if I would be willing to make some plant stakes for her shop to sell on consignment.  I told her I would.  I will probably make some butterflies, hummingbirds, dragonflies, small flowers, etc.  I was also asked if I would put some on my etsy site and I probably will.  It could be a nice side job for me.  

I also have to bring all my watercolor supplies up to the studio also!  I have an idea in my head to make a very large oblong shaped watercolor for over my bed.  I'm thinking of a landscape scene.  I haven't painted anything bigger than 11" x 14".  I hope I can do it!  I also would like to make some jewelry (most earrings) for some Christmas presents at my jewelry table in the studio.  So many project, so little time!! LOL!!  I love creating!

Well I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and Happy Halloween!  My grandsons are trick or treating in my neighborhood.  They actually have a hayride for them and they trick or treat from there!  They are coming over for cupcakes after they are done.  Should be fine times!

Sherri


4 comments: