Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sweet Peas!


When I was a little girl around 5, I could not wait for Spring to arrive! I love robins and sweet peas!!! We lived in Kinnelon, NJ then and my Dad had built our house at the end of a cul-de-sac. My cousins, Karen and John lived on a diagonal from us. It was an extremely quiet street so I was allowed to ride my bike around the end of the cul-de-sac while my Mom was taking care of my middle sister, Sue, cleaning the house and doing laundry. There was 1 lot on the cul-de-sac that no one built on because it sloped down to a stream and it wasn't a prime buildable lot (today there is a house on it!!). One day I was looking down the hill because I saw pink amongst the green on the slope. Guess what it was, sweet peas growing there in all their loveliness!! They were like a magnet to me. The smelled so good and looked so pretty. Well guess what I did! I climbed carefully down the hill and picked a big bouquet for my Mom. Of course, when I brought them to her, I got yelled at for climbing down the hill. She said, " you could have killed yourself"! Secretly I think my Mom was glad I brought them to her (and she was glad I didn't tumble down that steep hill). She did say later on that they smelled so good.

I haven't grown any sweet peas in my adult life but I think our new house would be just the perfect place to plant some next Spring! Every time I see sweet peas I think of that slope with all those lovely sweet peas just waiting for me to pick them!! Hope you enjoyed my story! Everyone have a lovely day!

14 comments:

  1. Sherri I too love sweet peas and have fond childhood memories of them. My grandparents had them and I loved smelling that wonderful scent every time we came up the driveway. I plan to plant some again this year, though I've not had the best luck with them over the years, but I'll never give up trying. How sweet that you conquered that steep hill to pick your mother flowers!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is so wonderful. To have such lovely memories of your fist find of sweet pea's and all the beauty they bring to a small child. I'm sure your mom has wonderful memories of this too. I need to grow some. Not sure if they do well in my climate zone but I intend to find out..thanks for telling us this lovely childhood story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I plant sweet peas every November or December here in Mississippi. Mine are beginning to set buds-I love them. The more you cut them for bouguets, the more they bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was reading my gardening books over the weekend and sweet peas were added to my list of flowers I would like to plant. I'm hoping they will climb up a tall trellis in one of our beds. So pretty and now I will remember your sweet childhood memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them, too, Sherri, but I haven't grown them at this house at all. I love the smell of them. Cute story and we all felt so safe in our little areas back then, didn't we? xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet memory. How fun to look forward to planting some at the new house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the smell of sweet peas! I never thought to grow them. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved your story Sherri! We adore sweet peas as well. At my last house I grew some, I think sweet peas need to be at your new home for sure :) Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them, too, but have never grown them. Maybe this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We share two favourites, I see. Sweetpeas and robins... yah for these wondrous beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS. I love your new look. Haven't been by in a wee while, so maybe it's not so 'new', but new to me. Very inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never had these...maybe I should try some...they are very pretty.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet story. We plant sweet peas on the side of our house every summer. I love them and they smell so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those sweet peas are such a gorgeous color!

    ReplyDelete