Friday, September 4, 2009

Grey Gardens, the movie



Last night John and I watched a very interesting movie called Grey Gardens. It was based on a true story. Here is a synopsis of the movie:

Based on the life stories of the eccentric aunt and first cousin of Jackie Onassis (both named Edith Bouvier Beale aka "Big and Little Edie") raised as Park Avenue débutantes but who withdrew from New York society, taking shelter at their Long Island summer home, "Grey Gardens." As their wealth and contact with the outside world dwindled, so did their grasp on reality. They were reintroduced to the world when international tabloids learned of a health department raid on their home, and Jackie swooped in to save her relatives.

Jessica Lange played the role of the mother (Big Edie) and Drew Barrymore (Little Edie) played the role of the daughter. Both women played there roles very well. Sela Ward played the role of Jackie Kennedy Onassis. She had a very minor role in the movie though. I was very surprised to see how these 2 women lived their lives. It is a very interesting movie.

13 comments:

  1. Sherri, I remember seeing a documentary on PBS several years ago about these two women. Strange story! I didn't know there was a movie about it. Thanks for the review : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard the story but haven't seen the movie. That will be my next rental, it sounds very interesting. I remember it made quite a scandal that Jackie O had let her family get that badly off.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the head's up.... haven't heard of this one before. Will have to watch for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read about this in some magazine but can't remember where. Sounds very interesting but sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds interesting... I'm going to see if I can get hold of a copy.

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The movie sounds very interesting to me - I will definitely check it out on Netflix. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Sherri, this is on its way to us from Netflix as I write!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an interesting movie. I may have to rent it this weekend.
    Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Sherri, here is the link for the original documentary:

    http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Grey_Gardens/70020235?trkid=174833

    amazing, amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to see this movie, Drew looks amazing.

    Don't forget about the gwtw ball today, the party has begun!
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw the documentary last year on PBS. Since then I have been captivated with Grey Gardens. My daughters and I watched the movie and have read a book, "My Life At Grey Gardens" written by a distant cousin who claims to have resided with the Big Edie and Little Edie for a while.
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  12. There was also an article and pictures in a recent Town and Country magazine. My daughter "borrowed it" from a doctor's office.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just this past week I watched the original documentary of Grey Gardens. I thought the Jessica Lange/Drew Barrymore movie really captured the essence of the original. Those two ladies were just characters. Interesting story...

    ReplyDelete